The research of artist Lisette Ros is complementary: towards society, unmasking how collective mechanisms work; conditioned by an understructure rooted in our basic, daily behavior, and most importantly towards herself.
While her performances always carry recognizable elements, she analyses routines and questions conventions, daily rhythms and their self-evidence. She sees the consequences of socio cultural praxis that affect us, whilst the peculiar element to her work is that this all cannot exist apart from her persona. Her body is therefor the pivotal space of action, the battlefield where these types of questions are asked; her ground for exploration.
Because, who is she, in the midst of it all?
This is the profound reason why Ros’ aching need of understanding has to pass through her body. Feelings are confronting, but at the same time introduce her with vulnerabilities, her flesh, her blood. She is bleeding, she is breathing, she is wondering.
CURRENTLY WORKING ON: COMING SOON
- POSTPONED TO 2022
0 9 -12: ‘The Mirror’ at l’Age d’Or, Schutterstraat 17, old city mall Almere, NL.
Live opening performance, with an exclusive collaborative twist with Sam Andrea.
- POSTPONED TO 2022
09-12 – 31-12: ‘The Mirror’ on show at l’Age d’Or, Schutterstraat 17, old city mall, Almere, NL. Installation, videowork.
- New: ‘I Bruise Like A Peach’ for INTERBELLUM #4.
– Launching as soon as possible. Stay noticed for the updates.
Live performance, light installation.
Collaboration with artist Sam Janssen.
- New: ‘The Mirror’ for INTERBELLUM #3.
Live performance, installation, video work.
Collaboration with filmmakers Rob Schröder & Gabrielle Provaas, light Stefan Prokop.
Exclusive event coming up.
- Artist in Resident at Marina Abramovic, Peloponnese, Greece, September 2021.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ finished and launched at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video exhibiting online at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ video + prints exhibited at Oped Space + Gallery, Tokyo, Japan during the ‘Reflection’ show: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, China: 13 October till 3 November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours in three days (very short impression in the video above).
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video + installation at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: 17 till 20 May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ in a live performance + installation with The Living Museum at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, Texas, USA: March 2018.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance at International Art and Architecture Festival, Venice Biennal, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Lisette Ros
© Biography by Sara van Bussel
© Header: Analogue photo ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ by Marieke Gras
© Teaser video ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ (2021) by Lisette Ros