The research of artist Lisette Ros is complementary: towards society, unmasking how collective mechanisms work; conditioned by an understructure rooted in our basic, daily behavior, and most importantly towards herself.
While her performances always carry recognizable elements, she analyses routines and questions conventions, daily rhythms and their self-evidence. She sees the consequences of socio cultural praxis that affect us, whilst the peculiar element to her work is that this all cannot exist apart from her persona. Her body is therefor the pivotal space of action, the battlefield where these types of questions are asked; her ground for exploration.
Because, who is she, in the midst of it all?
This is the profound reason why Ros’ aching need of understanding has to pass through her body. Feelings are confronting, but at the same time introduce her with vulnerabilities, her flesh, her blood. She is bleeding, she is breathing, she is wondering.
CURRENTLY WORKING ON: COMING SOON
- Live performance: ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’, a breath-taking performance finished and launched in Iceland.
– Launch in Amsterdam at on 30-10-2021, Prinsengracht 675, Amsterdam.
Live performance, glass installation, video work.
- Now on show: ‘The Mirror’ video work in collaboration with EYE Film Museum and Rob Schröder.
– The new video work can be watched at ‘Shallow then Halo’ from Friday to Sunday at the Prinsengracht 675, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Now on show: video work of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1.
Collaboration with filmmakers Rob Schröder & Gabrielle Provaas.
– The new video work can be watched at ‘Shallow then Halo’, curated by Gabriel Rolt.
From Thursday to Saturday (13:00 – 18:00) at the Prinsengracht 675, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- New: ‘I Bruise Like A Peach’ for INTERBELLUM #4.
– Launching in Amsterdam in October/November 2021. Stay noticed for the updates.
Live performance, light installation.
Collaboration with artist Sam Janssen.
- New: ‘The Mirror’ for INTERBELLUM #3.
Live performance, installation, video work.
Collaboration with filmmakers Rob Schröder & Gabrielle Provaas, light Stefan Prokop.
Exclusive event coming up.
- Resident at Marina Abramovic, Peloponnese, Greece, September 2021.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ finished and launched at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video exhibiting online at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ video + prints exhibited at Oped Space + Gallery, Tokyo, Japan during the ‘Reflection’ show: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, China: 13 October till 3 November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours in three days (very short impression in the video above).
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video + installation at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: 17 till 20 May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ in a live performance + installation with The Living Museum at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, Texas, USA: March 2018.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance at International Art and Architecture Festival, Venice Biennal, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Lisette Ros
© Biography by Sara van Bussel
© Header: Analogue photo ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ by Marieke Gras
© Teaser video ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ (2021)
© Still shot from ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1