Lisette Ros (NL, 1991) is a conceptual and performance artist. She uses her body as a tool in order to do research: as a quest towards society, unmasking how mechanisms work; conditioned by an understructure rooted in our basic, daily behavior, and as a quest towards her own, fluid identity: who is she, in the midst of it all? Currently identifying as humanimal, woman, queer and fluid. But mostly, a hybrid form of existence, morphing between the fragmented categories of existing species.
While her performances always carry recognizable elements, she analyses routines and questions conventions, daily rhythms and their self-evidence. She sees the consequences of socio cultural praxis that affect us, whilst the peculiar element to her work is that this all cannot exist apart from her persona. Her body is therefor the pivotal space of action, the battlefield where these types of questions are asked; her ground for exploration. However, the concept is always in the lead. Therefore, the outcomes of Ros’ projects are interdisciplinary; she always uses her own body to explore, do research and investigate, but the outcome can vary between different types of media. Getting the message across is the most important aspect.
Ros’ performances are marked by reiterations of the same gestures and acts, increasing the feelings of discomfort in the spectator. Ros’ body is symbol, tool and flesh at the same time.
This is the profound reason why Ros’ aching need of understanding has to pass through her body. Feelings are confronting, but at the same time introduce her with vulnerabilities, her flesh, her blood. She is bleeding, she is breathing, she is wondering.
May – June 2023: AiR at Casa Lü, development of new series titled: The Absence of Metamorphosis, CDMX, MEX. 08-06-2023: Exhibiting first visual translation of The Absence of Metamorphosis “Presence in Absence” piece, group exhibition whether silently or aloud, Gallery Casa Lü, CDMX, MEX.
- POSTPONED: Reframing Conventions (2013) live guerrilla performance ’10 Year Anniversary’ tour, MACBA, Barcelona, SP.
01-07-2023: I’ll dance as fast as I can (2020) live performance by LR On Demand. Special ‘version as part of the Art Nou opening’Art Nou’ Edition, Piramidón Centre d’Art Contemporani, Barcelona, SP.
- August – 4 September 2023: AiR at Melati Suryodarmo, development of new work My Self, the (Unfamiliar) Roots (2024), Solo, IDN.
- 20-08-2023: Workshop ‘The Construction of Identity, and the fluidity thereof’ by Lisette Ros, Studio Plesungan, Solo, IDN.
- 14-08-2023 / 17-08-2023: I Bruise Like A Peach (2022/2023) as part of ‘The Rubber Hand Illusion’ exhibition by Pusty Pokój art collective, Cukry Praga, Warsaw, Prague.
- 01-09-2023: My Self, the (Unfamiliar) Roots live performance with audience, Studio Plesungan, Solo, IDN.
- 13-09-2023 / 16-09-2023: Participating artist with My Self, the (Unfamiliar) Roots upcoming new work at Kaliwungu Performance Art Festival, Kendal, IDN
- 06–10-2023 until December 2023: I’ll dance as fast as I can new video diptych and Lisette polaroids exhibited as part of group show ‘The Dancer’, GÄRNA ART GALLERY, Madrid, SP.
- 15-09-2023 – October 2023: Collaborative project with Ican Harem (Gabber Modus Operandi) and Pinkygurl, Studio Macan, Bali, IDN. More info coming soon.
- New: The Absence of Metamorphosis
– New series in progress, Mexico-City, MEX, 2023/2024.
- New: The Judge(ment)
– New work in progress, Hilversum/Amsterdam, NL, 2022/2023.
Collaboration with my father.
- ‘The Absence of Metamorphosis’ at Casa Lü Galería, CDMX, MEX.
- ‘Liberation from Definition’ publication. Interview Lisette Ros x Metal Magazine with photos by Laura Martinova, worldwide.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at Apiary Studios as part of Aliceex exhibition, London, UK.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ live performance and installation at gallerí Korpúlfsstaðir as part of tunglið tunglið taktu mig exhibition, IS.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ new work in progress AiR at SIM, Reykjavik, IS.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at The Curators Room – La Oficina BCN, Barcelona: March 2022.
- Artist in Resident at Marina Abramovic, Peloponnese, Greece: September 2021.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video screening at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ at Oped Gallery, Tokyo, JP, ‘Reflection’ exhibition: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, CN: October – November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours.
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video screening at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, TX, USA: March 2018.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance at Venice Architecture Biennale, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Biography by Sara van Bussel
© Podcast in conversation with PerformVu NYC
© Photo taken during live performance ‘The Absence of Metamorphosis’ by Ruben Araujo
© Lisette Ros