Lisette Ros (NL, 1991) is a conceptual and performance artist. She uses her body as a tool in order to do research: as a quest towards society, unmasking how mechanisms work; conditioned by an understructure rooted in our basic, daily behavior, and as a quest towards her own, fluid identity: who is she, in the midst of it all? Currently identifying as humanimal, woman, queer and fluid. But mostly, a hybrid form of existence, morphing between the fragmented categories of existing species.
While her performances always carry recognizable elements, she analyses routines and questions conventions, daily rhythms and their self-evidence. She sees the consequences of socio cultural praxis that affect us, whilst the peculiar element to her work is that this all cannot exist apart from her persona. Her body is therefor the pivotal space of action, the battlefield where these types of questions are asked; her ground for exploration. However, the concept is always in the lead. Therefore, the outcomes of Ros’ projects are interdisciplinary; she always uses her own body to explore, do research and investigate, but the outcome can vary between different types of media. Getting the message across is the most important aspect.
Ros’ performances are marked by reiterations of the same gestures and acts, increasing the feelings of discomfort in the spectator. Ros’ body is symbol, tool and flesh at the same time.
This is the profound reason why Ros’ aching need of understanding has to pass through her body. Feelings are confronting, but at the same time introduce her with vulnerabilities, her flesh, her blood. She is bleeding, she is breathing, she is wondering.
Read about Lisette’s vision, art and brain in the recent interview published in Metal Magazine (March 2023).
12-11-2022 until 01-02-2023: The Mirror (2019) video work – in collaboration with EYE Film Museum – as part of the group exhibition ‘Wat voel je nou’ The Curators Room, MOYA Museum, Oosterhout, NL. Open for visitors.
- 18-11-2022 until 10-04-2023: TRANCE (2019) collaborative video work with Asian Dope Boys by Tianzhuo Chen on show at Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem, NL.
- POSTPONED TILL FURTHER NOTICE 30-12-2022: Corpus Tensio (2022) live performance in collaboration with music performer Diamanda Dramm, Splendor, Amsterdam, NL.
14-01-2023 until 14-02-2023: I Bruise Like A Peach (2022) launch at exhibition ‘Same shit, different Screens’, Time is the New Space, Rotterdam, NL. 13-02-2023 until 17-02-2023: The Construction of Identity workshop week by Lisette Ros at Minerva Art Academy, Groningen, NL. 18-03-2023: I’ll dance as fast as I can (2020) live performance by LR On Demand, Art Chapel, Amsterdam, NL.
- 18-03-2023: I Bruise Like A Peach (2022/2023) short video out now, in collaboration with Sam Janssen, Rotterdam, NL.
- May – June 2023: AiR at Casa Lü, development of new work Regenerative Body (2023), CDMX, MEX.
- 12-06-2023 until 15-06-2023: Exhibition Regenerative Body, Gallery Casa Lü, CDMX, MEX.
- June 2023: Solo exhibition existing work, Dolores 54, CDMX, MEX. More info coming soon.
- May 2023: My Self, the Fetus (2015) live performance during opening event, Dolores 54, CDMX, MEX. More info coming soon.
- 29-06-2023: I’ll dance as fast as I can (2020) live performance LR On Demand as part of Art Nou, Piramidón Centro de Arte Contemporáneo roof, Barcelona, SP.
- 01-07-2023: Reframing Conventions (2013) live guerrilla performance ’10 Year Anniversary’ tour, MACBA, Barcelona, SP.
- August – 4 September 2023: AiR at Studio Plesungan, development of new work My Self, the (Unfamiliar) Roots (2024), Solo, IDN. More info on open studio moments coming soon.
- 14-08-2023: Workshop ‘The Construction of Identity, and the fluidity thereof’ by Lisette Ros to local artists and students, Studio Plesungan, Solo, IDN.
- 03-09-2023: My Self, the (Unfamiliar) Roots live performance with audience, Solo, IDN. More info coming soon.
- 15-09-2023 – October 2023: AiR at Studio Makan, collaborative project with Ican Harem (Gabber Modus Operandi) and Pinkygurl, Bali, IDN. More info coming soon.
- New: The Judge(ment)
– New work in progress, Hilversum/Amsterdam, NL, 2022/2023.
Collaboration with my father.
- New: My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal
– New work in progress, Iceland, 2022/2023.
- ‘Liberation from Definition’ publication. Interview Lisette Ros x Metal Magazine with photos by Laura Martinova, worldwide.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at Apiary Studios as part of Aliceex exhibition, London, UK.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ live performance and installation at gallerí Korpúlfsstaðir as part of tunglið tunglið taktu mig exhibition, IS.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ new work in progress AiR at SIM, Reykjavik, IS.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at The Curators Room – La Oficina BCN, Barcelona: March 2022.
- Artist in Resident at Marina Abramovic, Peloponnese, Greece: September 2021.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video screening at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ at Oped Gallery, Tokyo, JP, ‘Reflection’ exhibition: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, CN: October – November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours.
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video screening at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, TX, USA: March 2018.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance at Venice Architecture Biennale, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Biography by Sara van Bussel
© Photo ‘Liberation from Definition’ publication by Laura Martinova
© Short video I Bruise Like A Peach with Sam Janssen by Davids Danoss
© Still photo Reframing Conventions for INTERBELLUM #1 by Phaedra
© Motion snippet TRANCE video work at ‘The Rhythm of the Night’ by LNDW Studio
© Lisette Ros