The research of artist Lisette Ros is complementary: towards society, unmasking how collective mechanisms work; conditioned by an understructure rooted in our basic, daily behavior, and most importantly towards herself.
While her performances always carry recognizable elements, she analyses routines and questions conventions, daily rhythms and their self-evidence. She sees the consequences of socio cultural praxis that affect us, whilst the peculiar element to her work is that this all cannot exist apart from her persona. Her body is therefor the pivotal space of action, the battlefield where these types of questions are asked; her ground for exploration.
Because, who is she, in the midst of it all?
This is the profound reason why Ros’ aching need of understanding has to pass through her body. Feelings are confronting, but at the same time introduce her with vulnerabilities, her flesh, her blood. She is bleeding, she is breathing, she is wondering.
13-05-2022: ‘Getting Dressed’ (Ritual) Amsterdam Art Weekend at Het HEM with The Curators Room, Zaandam, NL.
Live performance stream.
22-05-2022: Live performance stream at Sky Lagoon, Reykjavik, IS for ‘Sunday Artsy Bath’. 26-05-2022 until 30-05-2022: Exhibition gallerí Korpúlfsstaðir, Reykjavik, IS. 16-06-2022: ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at Rotterdam Art Weekend, The Stage, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam, NL.
Live performance, audio work.
- POSTPONED: 24-06-2022: The Fountain The Mirror The Old Guitar for INTERBELLUM #3 in collaboration with Gabriel Rolt, Frederiksplein, Amsterdam, NL.
- 23-06-2022 – 15-08-2022: Reframing Conventions for INTERBELLUM #1 (2020) at ‘DING-A-DONG’ exhibition, video work, Prinsengracht 675, Amsterdam, NL.
- 24-09-2022: My Self, the (First) Breath in collaboration with artist Leonard van Munster, de Biotoop, Amsterdam, NL.
- 23-10-2022: preview new work The Unseen Child, de Rechtbank, Amsterdam, NL.
Live performance, video work.
- New: My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal
– New work in progress, Iceland, 2022.
- New: I Bruise Like A Peach.
– Finally launching soon! Stay noticed for the updates.
Live performance, light installation.
Collaboration with artist Sam Janssen and Melting Wang.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at Apiary Studios as part of Aliceex exhibition, London, UK.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ live performance and installation at gallerí Korpúlfsstaðir as part of tunglið tunglið taktu mig exhibition, IS.
- ‘My Humanoid Self, (Heavy) Metal’ new work in progress AiR at SIM, Reykjavik, IS.
- ‘My Self, the Fetus’ at The Curators Room – La Oficina BCN, Barcelona: March 2022.
- Artist in Resident at Marina Abramovic, Peloponnese, Greece: September 2021.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video screening at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ at Oped Gallery, Tokyo, JP, ‘Reflection’ exhibition: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, CN: October – November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours.
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video screening at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, TX, USA: March 2018.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance at Venice Architecture Biennale, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Biography by Sara van Bussel
© Snippet video Reframing Conventions for Interbellum #1 by Rob Schröder, Gabrielle Provaas
© Snippet video Getting Dressed (Ritual)
© Lisette Ros