Lisette Ros (1991) is a (conceptual) performance artist from Amsterdam.
“Where does my conditioning end and where does my (our) autonomy begin?”
Lisette Ros’ conceptual performance work challenges the basic conventions and routine behavior that form the bonds of human society. The starting point of Ros’ work always emerges for a confrontation with herself; a constant self-reflexivity that questions and challenges the normative values that she, as we all do, have internalized from society at large, manifest in impulses towards certain routines and behaviors. In her performances, Ros dramatizes and aestheticizes the confrontation that she subjects her body and spirit to, thus sharing her critical findings with her audiences. Ros materializes her work as live performances, performance video art, audio works and installation, depending on the context and concept. Becoming aware of one’s body is a fundamental pillar in this respect.
Ros poses questions by doing.
CURRENTLY WORKING ON: COMING SOON
- New: ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’, a breath-taking performance finished and launched in Iceland.
– Now working on the handmade installation and launch in Amsterdam.
Live performance, glass installation, video work.
- New: ‘I Bruise Like A Peach’ for INTERBELLUM #4.
Live performance, light installation.
Collaboration with artist Sam Janssen.
- New: ‘Route Kalkhorst’.
- Relaunch: video work of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1.
Collaboration with filmmakers Rob Schröder & Gabrielle Provaas.
Ready to launch.
- Relaunch: ‘The Mirror’ for INTERBELLUM #3.
Live performance, installation, video work.
Collaboration with filmmakers Rob Schröder & Gabrielle Provaas, light Stefan Prokop.
Exclusive event coming up.
- ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ finished and launched at SIM Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland: March 2021.
- ‘DEFENDER’ / NEW VIEWINGS exhibition with video works ‘…elk rondje is anders during Quarantine’, ‘The Mirror’ and an exclusive online performance of ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 at Barbara Thumm Galerie, Berlin, Germany: October – December 2020.
- ‘Reframing Conventions during Quarantine’ exhibition at Straight Through The Wall, Williamsburg NYC, USA: September 2020.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: The Loft’ video exhibiting online at Straight Through The Wall, NYC, USA: April 2020.
- ‘The Mirror’ video + prints exhibited at Oped Space + Gallery, Tokyo, Japan during the ‘Reflection’ show: March & April 2020.
- ‘TRANCE’ collaboration with Asian Dope Boys (Tianzhuo Chen) at MWoods Museum, Beijing, China: 13 October till 3 November 2019. Live performance: 36 hours in three days (very short impression in the video above).
- ‘My Self, the Body’ video + installation at Uncensored Festival, London, UK: 17 till 20 May 2019.
- Launch of ‘My Self, the Body’ in a live performance + installation with The Living Museum at South By Southwest (SXSW), Austin, Texas, USA: March 2018.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: Reframing Conventions’ live performance at International Art and Architecture Festival, Venice Biennal, Venice, Italy: October 2016.
- ‘INTERVENING SPACE: Reframing Conventions’ live performance and installation at IFFTI Polimoda Conference, Florence, Italy: May 2015.
© Lisette Ros
© Biography by Nick Hackworth
© Header: Still shot from ‘My Self, the (First) Breath’ (2021), launching soon
© Still shot from ‘Reframing Conventions’ for INTERBELLUM #1 (2020) at De Stelling van Amsterdam
© Still shot from ‘I’ll dance as fast as I can’