INTERVENING SPACE: Pattern making is about the atelier of designers Maison the Faux. Their atelier is based on routine behavior, routinized actions, having a structure, following a tight schedule; very systematic.
Maison the Faux asked me to do a live performance in their atelier as part of their collection concept C’est Vrai ou C’est Faux? [is it real or is it fake?]. This performance was one moment and could be followed on the live stream at their website.
The performance was about creating a rhythm out of one of the most common human actions within their atelier; pattern making. During the performance I created a pattern as a response to the most common human actions of the employees working in the atelier at Maison the Faux. First, I was there to observe their actions for a couple of hours, afterwards I set-up eight conditions; each action is one print/silhouette of a body part of mine.
The eight conditions + body parts after observation:
1. Moving with a chair = foot print/silhouette.
2. Ironing/standing at the ironing board = hand print/silhouette.
3. Working on the sewing machines = leg print/silhouette.
4. Telephone actions = buttocks print/silhouette.
5. Standing up = arm print/silhouette.
6. Sitting down = taille silhouette.
7. Walking = neck/shoulder silhouette.
8. Smoking = face en profil silhouette.
This process with the pattern as end-result was a visual registration of the daily rhythm and behavior of Maison the Faux; a visual work landscape.
PERFORMANCE DURATION: 6H 33M
Underneath some stills of both of the videos.
© Lisette Ros and Maison the Faux